BOOK AWARDS & CONTESTS
This can provide self-published authors and their work out of obscurity and into the spotlight, to increase their chances of getting discovered and recognized by readers. ELK Press's goal is to help self-published authors get their book into the hands of more readers. Recognition from a prominent panel of judges can increase your book’s credibility, visibility, and marketability.
BE AN AUTHOR
SUBMIT AN ENTRY FOR A BOOK COMPETITION AVAILABLE ALL YEAR ROUND
L. Ron Hubbard’s
WRITERS OF THE FUTURE CONTEST
Deadline: March 31, 2021
Top Prize: $1,000 cash top prize
Other Prizes: $750 second and $500 third place quarterly prizes, plus an annual $5,000 grand-prize winner.
The L. Ron Hubbard’s Writers of the Future Contest is a quarterly contest that awards cash prizes of $1000, $750 and $500.
The contest is held four times a year with the cash prizes awarded every three months. It is open to original science fiction, fantasy and dark fantasy short stories up to 17,000 words in length.
There is also an annual award. Each year a panel of judges select one story from the quarterly 1st place winners as the grand-prize winner. The grand-prize winner receives the L. Ron Hubbard Golden Pen Award and an additional $5000 cash prize.
The contest is named after science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. It was established in 1985. Top science fiction authors have served as judges of the contest over the year. The winning stories are also published in an annual anthology, L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of Future.
NEXT GENERATION INDIE BOOK AWARDS
Proud to be the largest International awards program for indie authors and independent publishers. Why should you enter the Next Generation Indie Book Awards?
- Open to independent authors and publishers worldwide
- Enter books with a 2020, 2021 or 2022 copyright date
- Over 70 categories to choose from
- Cash prizes and fabulous awards
- Exposure of top 70 books to leading New York literary agent
- An invitation to attend the Gala awards reception
- Earn recognition and receive other benefits from having an award-winning book
Entries are now being accepted for the 2022 Next Generation Indie Book Awards The most exciting and rewarding book awards program open to independent publishers and authors worldwide is now accepting entries written in English and released in 2020, 2021 or 2022 or with a 2020, 2021 or 2022 copyright date. The Next Generation Indie Book Awards is presented by Independent Book Publishing Professionals Group (www.IBPPG.com).
With over 70 categories to choose from, enter by February 11, 2022 (all books must be received in our offices by February 11, 2022) to take advantage of this exciting opportunity to have your book considered for cash prizes, awards, exposure, possible representation by a leading literary agent, and recognition as one of the top independently published books of the year!
The top 70 books will be sent to be reviewed by New York literary agent Marilyn Allen of Allen O'Shea Literary Agency or one of Ms. Allen's co-agents for possible representation in areas that could generate even more revenue for your book such as: distribution, foreign rights, film rights, and other rights (unless an entrant prefers not to have their book forwarded to the agent). Ms. Allen has over 25 years of sales and marketing experience, including serving as Senior Vice President, Associate Publisher, and Director of Marketing for Harper Collins and directing sales and marketing teams for Simon & Schuster, Penguin Books and Avon Books. Ms. Allen has had the pleasure of working with many best-selling authors including Stephen King, Ken Follett, Barbara Kingsolver, John Gray, Mary Higgins Clark, and many more.
INDIE READER DISCOVERY AWARDS
Entry for the 2022 Discovery Awards is now open to all authors.
Entry open until February 15, 2022.
The IndieReader Discovery Awards (IRDAs) is a where undiscovered talent meets people with the power to make a difference.
What makes the IRDAs so unique is their panel of judges. This panel includes:
- A public relations professional
- A developmental editor from Reedsy
- The Director of Author and Publishing Relations at Amazon
- Two editors from Kirkus indie
- All of which are well capable of recognizing great work when they see it. Entries are judged based on content, originality and writing quality.
In addition to announcement coverage in top consumer (Huffington Post, The Wall Street Journal) and trade publications (Publisher’s Weekly, GoodeReader), top winners of the Discovery Awards receive
- Kindle Paperwhites
- IndieReader and Kirkus pro reviews
- A custom author website
- And most importantly, first look consideration from New York City-based literature agents, Dystel, Goderich, and Bourret
And it’s not just the winners who benefit. Every author who enters receives a verdict, written by one of InieReaders’ professional reviewers.
The verdict can be used as a promotional blurb and is a great way to add credibility to your book on your website as well as at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and GoodReads book pages.
HOW MANY WINNERS WILL THERE BE?
- There will be a first, second and third prize winner in both the fiction and non-fiction categories.
- There will be a winner for Best First Book (fiction & non-fiction)
- There will be a winner for Best Cover Design (fiction & non-fiction)
- There is the potential for there to be one winner in each of the 50+ sub categories, based on the scores given by the reviewers, raters and judges.
- Winners for 2021 DAs will be announced at the end of May, 2021.
WHAT DO THE WINNERS GET?
You Want an Agent?
IndieReader formed an alliance with New York-based Dystel, Goderich and Bourret Literary Management, whose client list includes indie (and formerly indie) authors including Tracey Garvis Graves, Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines and Samantha Young. They have agreed to review the top six winners of the IRDAs with an eye towards signing them for representation.
You Want Some Buzz?
Our panel of judges include top PR people, bloggers, and book reviewers. They will be reading your book. And if they love it they’ll be sure to spread the word. Our press release, announcing the 2018 IRDA winners, has received close to 91,000 impressions and 1,000 reads.
Additionally, past IRDA winners have received exposure in major media outlets, including The Huffington Post and The Wall Street Journal, trade publications including Publisher’s Weekly, Shelf Awareness and GalleyCat/MediaBistro.
For the Top 2 winners (1 Fiction & 1 Non-Fiction):
- $500 cash prize
- A one hour, tailored consultation session with a publicist from Smith Publicity (VALUE: $499 per session)
- A custom author website and one year of hosting and management from Featherlight (VALUE: $1,347 per year)
- A one year membership to Jerry Jenkin’s private coaching community The Writers Guild (VALUE: $450)
THE ERIC HOFFER AWARD
The Eric Hoffer Book Award honors the memory of the great American philosopher Eric Hoffer by highlighting salient writing, as well as the independent spirit of small publishers. Since its inception, the Hoffer has become one of the largest international book awards for small, academic, and independent presses.
A grand prize of $2,500 is awarded annually. In addition, Eric Hoffer Book Award honors include various prizes within eighteen all-inclusive categories, separate press distinctions, the Montaigne Medal, the da Vinci Eye, First Horizon Award, and the Medal Provocateur.
Books are submitted to the Hoffer Award through our easy nomination process. A single category registration qualifies a book for all prize consideration. The registration deadline is January 21st.
THE INDEPENDENT PUBLISHER BOOK AWARDS
Known as the IPPYs, the Independent Publisher Book Awards program is geared toward independent, university and self-published titles worldwide.
The IPPYs are advertised as the largest book awards competition, and prizes include gold, silver and bronze medals.
The IPPYs accept applications in over 80 categories, including Best Regional Fiction, Best Regional Non-Fiction, Best First Book, Fine Art, Photography and many more.
Award winners are:
- Featured in a series of articles at our IndependentPublisher.com website which had over 80,000 unique visitors in the past year
- Promoted in press releases sent to over 2,000 publishing industry media outlets
- Given two free passes, valued at $300, to the IPPY gala held during BookExpo America in Chicago or New York City.
- Sent a Winner’s Celebration Packet that includes a starter set of book seals, an official winner’s certificate, and a medal.
- Listed in results that are permanently archived on www.independentpublisher.com back to 1997.
- Featured in an average of 50 articles per year internationally.
Judging criteria include:
- First Impression
- Use of Language
- Message Delivery
Judges include experts in the fields of design, editing, reviewing, library and bookselling. Along with the sales boost that can come from an award is the personal recognition and morale boost for all those involved. The prestige of winning can inspire staff to promote the book with more enthusiasm and give the title’s marketing campaign new life. Use this excitement to send out a new wave of press releases and sales pitches to a variety of potential customers. Everybody loves a winner!
- Increased visibility
- Increased credibility
- New material for press releases, brochures, etc.
- Renewed enthusiasm of sales and marketing team
- Use of stickers/logo on books, promotional materials, website, emails, etc.her.com back to 1997.
- Featured in an average of 50 articles per year internationally.
IPPY winners enjoy many benefits. As one of the oldest, most established independent book awards in operation, the Independent Publisher Book Awards (IPPYs) are well known and respected in the book industry.
THE WRITERS DIGEST SELF-PUBLISHED BOOK AWARDS
The Writers Digest Self-Published Book Award program is open to any self-published author.
Entries will be judged based on:
- Writing quality and the overall appearance
- Quality of the publication
- Grand Prize Winner Receives – $8,000 in cash
- First Prize Winner Receives – $1,000 in cash
- Mainstream Literary Fiction
- Genre Fiction
- Non-Fiction Reference
- Life Stories (including biographies, autobiographies, family histories, and memoirs)
- Early Reader/Children’s Books
- Middle Grade/Young Adult
BEST INDIE BOOK AWARD
The annual Best Indie Book Award® (or BIBA™) is an international literary award contest recognizing self-published authors in major genres. Entries are limited to independently (indie) published books, including those from small presses, e-book publishers, and self-published authors.
All Best Indie Book Award® winners will receive:
- A custom, Physical Trophy displaying the Author’s Name and Book Title.
- A digital Winner’s Emblem to use on your cover, website, social profile, and in promotions.
- Front Page Exposure for at least one year on BestIndieBookAward.com
- Permanent Exposure of your book via listing on BestIndieBookAward.com
- Permanent Book Page on BestIndieBookAward.com with links to where the book is available for sale.
- Ongoing Promotion of the winning book through social media, print advertising, online advertising, email lists, and more. (100,000+ followers)
- Five-Star rating on Goodreads.
- Added to the BIBA Winners list on Goodreads.
- Custom Promotional Images of your book for you to use.
- Promotion across multiple websites.
Accepts submissions from all over the world, but the books must be written in English.
The Best Indie Book Award® is a legitimate writing competition. Entries will be judged based on multiple writing skills, which include story-telling ability, author’s ability to engage the reader, transitions, pacing, movement of the story, author’s skill with voice, character, dialogue, and narrative. Grammar skills will also be taken into consideration. Winning a BIBA™ is something an author can be proud of!
Not only does winning a BIBA™ feel good, but winners also gain:
- Increased visibility
- Increased credibility
- Increased sales
- Novella/Short Story Collection
- Romance, Science Fiction/Dystopian
- Young Adult
Entries are judged based on:
- Storytelling ability
- Among others
AUTHOR ACADEMY AWARDS
The Author Academy Awards is an award bestowed for literary merit and publishing excellence in the writing and publishing industry. It’s given annually by Author Academy Elite (AAE) and presented at the Author Academy Awards Ceremony. The various category winners are bestowed a special award, officially called the “Academy Boon of Merit.”
The winner in each category gives an acceptance speech at the Award Ceremony. The winner in each category will also be invited to present their book synopsis at the Igniting Souls Conference main stage on the days immediately following Author Academy Awards in front of a global audience.
Author Academy Award First Prize Winners receive:
- The Academy Boon of Merit Award
- Press release and media story presented to their hometown press by a professional PR firm.
- Traditional Media and Social Media press including features on select podcasts, shows, vlogs, blogs, and articles.
- Lifetime “Your Pace” level access to ©30 Days to a Bigger Stage Experience, an online program helping authors get publicity for their book.
- The opportunity of presenting their book synopsis on the Igniting Souls Conference Main Stage in front of a global audience for those finalists registered as conference attendees.
- And more!
The Author Academy Awards takes place on October 23, 2020.
- Red Carpet Sessions
- Red Carpet Meet & Greet
- Author Academy Awards Ceremony